I was wrong about JIP

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,670
Re: I was wrong about JIP

Grimstod wrote:

BG454 wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

I was initially very skeptical about JIP and wrote them off as merely being liquidators. And that feeling was reinforced when they announced their first "new product".... a rework of a five year old Olympus voice recorder. At that point, all they had done was deliver a few Olympus products that were ready for release (a EM10 upgrade, an EM10 variant, an EM1 upgrade, and two lenses that were already in the works).

Plus, they completely botched their website and the M4/3 official site. Removing some useful features and full of dead links to nowhere. So I was certain that the brand was doomed.

But I am glad to admit I was wrong. The two new products announced this week have changed my mind. Because both are really nice products and both add strength to the system.

The Olympus EP7 looks like a heck of a camera.

And it is getting some very positive first impression reviews. It will probably not be for me, but I see it as a huge improvement over the EPL models, a nice EP model despite lacking an EVF port, and an interesting take on a stripped down Pen-F. They have wisely consolidated all three lines into this one camera, which makes sense given the shrinking market. The only downside is the relatively high price, which will be a hard sell unless they discount it soon.

The Olympus 8-25mm f/4.0 PRO lens is an incredibly nice addition to the best MILC lens catalog in existence. Like the EP7 it is getting very positive initial reviews, and it seems to be of equal quality to all the other PRO lenses. The price is also high, but it is in line with the PRO primes and less than the faster PRO zooms. If you don't mind the size and price, it is a HUGE improvement over the 9-18mm lens, and really not much more than the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4.0 lens before discounting($800). Personally, I see it as a "better version of the 10-25mm f/1.7 lens at half the price..... as long as you are shooting in good light."

The only downside I see is that there might be too much overlap with the 12-40mm PRO, and there are an awful lot of those in our hands. If I didn't already own the 12-40mm lens, I would be preordering the 8-25mm lens right now. It looks like an ideal walk around lens.

I have revised my opinion of JIP. Based on these new products it seems like M4/3 might be around for quite some time. This is one of those rare times that I am happy to be wrong.

Surely these were products that were already under development by Olympus before the sale of the company to JIP?
For a real judgement of where JIP are taking Olympus, lets see some entirely JIP designed and manufactured products

I wonder how many people will be saying this still 2 years from now.

Omds is in a rough spot. Dammed if the do dammed if they don't. First it was omds hasn't released anything, now it's "that was already in development".

I'm not sure a "wow" product will convince anyone.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow