Lens suggestion for fixing Cannon Kit Lens Cannon Zoom EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,279
Re: Lens suggestion for fixing Cannon Kit Lens Cannon Zoom EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

ssppss wrote:

My kid damaged the Cannon EOS Rebel SL2 Kit Lens: cannon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

The camera with the lens fell face down while on a tripod. The neutral density ND filter I use to protect was damaged but the lens seemed OK. But the ND would not come off the lens. We had to use a lot of force to get the ND filter to unscrew. We had to hold the main lens and apply a lot of force. After the ND filter came off, the lens seems to not zoom anymore. Even when we manually turn the zoom ring it doesn't zoom. It does takes a photo though.

Can this lens be repaired? If so how? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Can I ask why you were using a ND as a protective filter?  Doing so cuts down on the available light, forcing you to use a slower shutter, higher ISO, or both.  I would humbly suggest using a lens hood for protection; in this case the hood would either have absorbed the impact with no damage or worst case broke and you would have only a $20 hood to replace.

I speak from experience using hoods for protection.  I dropped a camera lens-first with an 80-400mm lens onto blacktop.  Fortunately the hood was attached; it absorbed the impact with minimal damage.  The camera body got a cosmetic scrape but both lens & camera operated normally.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow