Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP greenmanphoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,150
Re: Greg's Exhibits - Just For Fun

Birddogman wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

Greg,

Some nice stuff, there! And while I've not managed to drive one (or if I had, it was QUITE a while ago!), I've LONG thought about having a Miata! I've heard SO MANY TIMES about how fun they can be! Curious about the mods you've done.

I like the first two images, and am wondering what they're like in color! Looks like they could be quite nice with fall/early winter leaves on the trees.

Thanks for sharing!

Sam

Thank you, Sam.

There are some power mods as noted above. Since it is basically a corner-carver, there are lots of suspension and brake mods. One of the few visible mods (if you have a really sharp eye) is lowering by about 1.5". Then there are Bilstein shocks, very stiff sway bars, body braces, including a front strut tower brace in the engine compartment for body stiffness in hard cornering, SS brake lines for instant reaction, etc.

I wanted to make the thing tossable and controllable at 10/10ths, but still retain a tolerable ride, as we often use the car to just putter along and admire the beautiful area where we live with the top down on a nice day. Pretty much succeeded. Even the pipes tone down to a pleasant burble when just cruising slowly.

Yeah, MX5/Maitas are really great cars for the money (this from a guy who has had any number of Porsches). With a few inexpensive and easy mods, They are 98% of the fun of, say, a Boxster S for 15% of the money. They are safer, because you don't need to go all that fast to have fun. Plus (and this is a big deal to me) you are not so "visible". Everyone sees you in a Porsche - no one even notices an apparently stock MX5.

Check out my photos at: https://www.flickr.com/gp/137747053@N07/4M38jj

Greg,

Thanks for the info! I can't say as I'd do anything like the mods you've done, but just having a fun, tossable little car like that could be quite fun!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D300, D700, D500, and D850; 16-80mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm, 24-120mm; Sigma 10-20 f3.5, 150mm f2.8 Macro, 17-50mm f2.8; Tamron 70-300mm, 70-200mm f2.8 VC; 24-70mm f2.8 VC G2; Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer tripod; RRS BH-55 ball head; Monostat RS-16 Pro monopod; Various odds and ends.
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow