processing ground frames with light painting

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
knight427 Regular Member • Posts: 171
processing ground frames with light painting

Ideally, I'd practice light painting a subject until I could get it just right in camera while shooting low ISO. The real world often makes this impractical to impossible for lots of reasons I won't bore you with. I will strive to do better, but I'm here to get help with what I've got, not with what I wish I had.

The ground is a stack (median) of 7 frames. 13 seconds each, 24 mm, f/2.8, ISO 6400. I applied a lot of things to try to bring down the brightness of the mill , front trees and waterfall. (reduced contrast across entire frame, applied "darken" filter in PS)

I tried to bring back some contrast and saturation (selectively with dodging and burning in PS plus trying some luminance masking with the LR brush filter), but it still looks very flat. I'm looking for processing tips to keep the brightness low, but give the Mill a "kick" and maybe make the rest of the ground frame look less dull.

Unrelated to that, I'm also reevaluating the perspective correction I used on the Mill. Does it look like it's wider near the roof than the foundation to you?

knight427's gear list:knight427's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow