wasp distress

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
macrouser
macrouser Senior Member • Posts: 2,094
wasp distress

I had my 70-300 zoom lens on to find the wasp an the sow thistle.  After the first shot, I put the 300 mm super macro gear on and brought the tripod and walk stool.

discovery

This is not the same species that was laying eggs a few days ago.

I had thought that the red spots were mites.  It looks like it is sap where the aphids have been and the plant is fighting back.

She is desperately trying to wipe the sticky stuff of her moth.  She has it on the tips of her wings to.

This is a bit like her egg laying position but I don't think she will do much of that.

She looks doomed.  She should have landed down on the stem below the flower buds.  There are more aphids and less red sticky stuff.

The winged female aphid can lay eggs that will produce both male and female young.

Her daughters can make female clones.

The powdery looking stuff if probably from a leaf hopper nymph.  They suck juice from the plant to.

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow