Sony FE 70-300 G and possible candidates

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
arrie Junior Member • Posts: 33
Sony FE 70-300 G and possible candidates

Hi all,

I bought an A7C a few weeks back to make it my new “second camera system”, with size and weight on mind, specifically. So I also purchased the 40 2.5 G and 20 1.8 G alongside, and soon added an 85 1.8.

This being my only interchangeable system at the moment made me think of adding a telephoto zoom for more reach. Having great experiences with the 70-300 G SSM of the Alpha mount in the distant past led to the decision of getting a FE 70-300 G a few days ago.

Unfortunately, the new lens had two specks of dust under the front element so I requested a replacement, which should arrive in a few days. But now I’m in a situation where I should keep it or not, because of the weight. Plus, it didn’t feel quite right on A7C balance wise.

I’m aware of the Tamron 70-300, and heard good things about it. But I chose the Sony G because of OSS, which I thought was very crucial for handheld framing. But now I’m rethinking the alternatives. Could anyone advise if it would be ideal to return the Sony G and get a Tamron, for the ultimate portability at the cost of optical stabilization?

Oh, I’m also aware that the G was known for sample variations. I’m happy with the image quality the last one produced.

arrie's gear list:arrie's gear list
Leica Q2 Canon G5 X II Sony a7C Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +5 more
ANSWER:
Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Tamron 70-300 F4.5-6.3 Di RXD III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow