First time doing a mosaic, The Lagoon Nebula and M20

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gergob Junior Member • Posts: 28
First time doing a mosaic, The Lagoon Nebula and M20

I apologize for posting another image of M20, however this was the best learning opportunity to try new things this weekend. My goal for this summer is to create a very highly detailed image of Rho Ophiuchi. I've imaged it twice already this summer but my QHY268C with the Radian Raptor just doesn't offer a wide enough view. In order to create the image I want, I'll have to shoot a 4 panel mosaic. This will require 3-4 nights at Bortle 4 or better and my opportunity is coming up very soon to begin. My first attempt of a 4 panel mosaic wasn't quite a success so I needed another opportunity to try again with lessons learned. This project was my proof of concept before dedicating 3-4 nights on Rho Ophiuchi.

I used my William Optics FLT132 with the 0.72 reducer to have 667mm focal length at F5 to create 2 landscape images of each nebula with 20% overlap. The camera is the QHY268C and the L-Pro filter is my goto for minimizing starlight while preserving broad spectrum color data. I used NINA to run my imaging session and shot 28x180 second exposures for each mosaic tile. All 28 shots of the Lagoon turned out, but I needed to take 50 of Trifid because of the change in wind. Imaged from White Mountain, CA at 10,500ft.

Pentax Optio M20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow