Canon EOS R5 + Tamron 150-600 G2, has anyone tried it?

Started Aug 5, 2020 | Discussions thread
Nikon33
Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,495
Re: Canon EOS R5 + Tamron 150-600 G2, has anyone tried it?

anthroposcenery wrote:

I have been using this combo for a little over 6 months almost daily.

Given the high resolution of the R5, I really notice how inconsistent the results are. It's possible to get amazing results, but even putting the lens on a tripod and shooting something stationary you'll notice that within the same burst of photos some are sharper than others. I've had a very hard time nailing down exactly what the issue is. I even tried using the remote shutter release and turning AF and IS off.

The easiest thing is just to shoot a lot of photos and dig through for the few sharpest ones, but it adds a lot of time going through the photos.

The best I can figure is that there are multiple factors leading to the inconsistencies in sharpness including both missed focus and several sources of motion blur. In fact, I think the IS between the lens and body occasional sort of sheer even at super high shutter speeds. I think, but am not entirely sure, that the results tend to be slightly better using electronic first curtain mode and VC off if you can afford it or in mode 3 (I saw someone say it doesn't work in mode 3, I think it does with latest firmware but maybe I'm just saying twice that the results are best with VC off). I really wish Canon had an option to enable one or the other between lens and body IS.

I'm convinced the vibration from the mechanical shutter can affect image quality and there's something wild when I use the lens with electronic shutter when there's this "clung" noise and an drastic jerking motion visible in the viewfinder when you press the shutter.

It also may be possible that my particular copy of the tamron lens is defective or damaged because I don't see many other people talking about it.

I haven't been able to test this super systematically, though. If anyone else has been struggling, I'd be thrilled for any suggestions. I'm actually thinking about swapping out for the sigma to see if it's better.

Duade Paton and I believe Jan Wegener have made videos that seem to echo your experience of many missed pictures.

Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow