Which kit to get for Lumix G91?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zdu New Member • Posts: 12
Which kit to get for Lumix G91?

Hello,

I lost my old gear and I'm planning to get a new camera for hobby purposes. I'm looking for some advice on kit lenses.

I plan on getting a Panasonic Lumix G91 (or maybe G9 if I can make the budget), but I can't buy all the lenses immediately. So I think I may go for the kit lens and one prime.

What I can get of the kit lenses here in Germany is:

• either the Lumix G Vario 14-140mm 3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS in a kit for about 1025 EUR,
  • or Lumix G Vario 12-60mm 3.5-5.6 ASPH Power OIS for around 900 EUR.
  • For comparison, just the body is around 800 EUR.

In addition to that I want to get one fast prime, likely the 20mm pancake that I loved on my old set, or the Oly 17mm.

My question: are those zooms from the kits even worth it? Is there something else to help me extend my shooting range that I can get for ~300-400 EUR instead? Perhaps I could get something off of (german) e-bay but things don't look significantly cheaper.

If they're both ok for the price, which one would you get? I think the 14-140m gives me a lot more room, but from what I've read, the 14-100 would give me a lot more range to play with, but 12-60 is a bit brighter lens (which is good for my clumsy hands shaking all   the pictures).

I'm just a hobbyist and don't have specific shooting targets - I mostly go out for a walk in the fields and woods with my wife and try to shoot things and learn concepts, so it goes from some close-ups and portraits to wide-angle panoramas.

A side question, if somebody has a bit more experience: would it be worth it jumping to an ASP-C sensors? Specifically Fujifilm X-T stuff? I'm looking at getting a new system and lenses and all and this would address my one pain-point: low light. Since I'm not a good photographer, my indoors photos don't look quite good. Well, most of my photos don't but in this instance I'm willing to let the sensor take at least a bit of blame

Background: I've learned the basics of camera on a GF2 with the original 20mm pancake, that was naively lovely Later on I got a Lumix G81 and extended my gear with some lenses, ranging from 12mm all the way to the cheap Oly 40-150mm. I also had some filters, tripods, a balllens, spare battery and such trinkets. Unfortunately,I've lost my camera bag together with both cameras and most of the gear recently. I hope the finder is very happy with the gear. I know I was.

zdu's gear list:zdu's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Panasonic G90 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow