Upgrade from Olympus E-M5 II to E-M1 III, or ditch entirely for Pansonic/Sony?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CydeWeys New Member • Posts: 17
Upgrade from Olympus E-M5 II to E-M1 III, or ditch entirely for Pansonic/Sony?

I'm currently shooting on the Olympus E-M5 Mark II, which I've had for about four years now.  My main lenses are the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro, 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro (with 1.4X teleconverter), 75mm f/1.8, and Panasonic 20mm f/1.8.  This camera simply isn't cutting it anymore.  Autofocus tracking is a challenge on fast-moving objects like birds or low-flying planes, and the video performance is really quite atrocious.  Plus, I tend not to use it above ISO 1600, because that's about where grain starts becoming noticeable.

Given how I have several $K sunk into my lenses, it would be great if I could continue using them rather than having to jump ship on the whole platform and swap out a bunch of lenses.  The E-M1 III seems to be closest to what I'm looking for, and I can probably get it used body-only for around $1.2-1.3k, or flat out new for $1.5k.  But does it make sense to continue to invest in an ecosystem that is potentially on its last legs given all the uncertainty happening with Olympus right now?  And isn't the sensor on that pretty old by now too?

Should I jump ship to a Panasonic given that they seem to be on more solid footing, even though my existing lenses won't work quite as well with them?  And if so, which camera?  Or, alternatively, I've also considered selling everything and getting a Sony alpha series (either APS-C or full-frame), but that would entail a larger cost in total as a lot of those lenses are expensive.

Anything else I should be considering?

Olympus E-M1 III Olympus E-M5 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow