Moisture condensation, DampRid, and Reports of DampRid residue

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Byron Zumwalt New Member • Posts: 8
Moisture condensation, DampRid, and Reports of DampRid residue

I inadvertently posted this to another thread and will try to delete that one. Sorry.

It is unclear how this happened. I was out shooting with a rented lens that I don't think was weather sealed when it started to spit rain. Very little moisture hit the lens,, but, not having a rain hood with me and the lens being big, I hurried back to the car and wiped it down. It may be that some moisture entered the camera that way.

It may also be that I caused the problem by forgetting about air conditioned cars. Lens and camera were in line with a vent.

My camera is a d800. The lens is a Tamron.

Whatever the cause, I now have what appears to be condensation in the viewfinder. I'm in a rural area with very poor access to repair/inspection services. I've seen various people recommending DampRid in the absence of silica jell, but every once in a while I also see reference to some sort of damprid residue. One user reported using damprid in his car and finding residue on the dashboard. That sure doesn't sound like something I want to expose my camera to.

I'm really not asking whether damprid gets moisture out of the air. I'm asking whether it puts something into the air. As a side issue, I'd like clarification as to whether drying out the air as much as this seems to do poses any damage risk to camera or lens.

Right now I have the camera open in a pretty clean room -- lens off, battery out, cards out. I recognize that I might get some dust but prefer that to water. I am aware of the recommendation to warm the camera up in a car with the heater on, but the only car I have access to is filthy and I don't even have a way to body cap with me. I'm nervous about that whole option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow