Wheels Through time and a D5

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Wafflebird
Wafflebird Regular Member • Posts: 160
Wheels Through time and a D5

Hello to everyone.

On a recent trip to Western North Carolina we made a visit to the Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley. I am sure many of you are aware already but if you are not this is quite simply one of the best motorcycle museums you could ever want to visit. It focuses a lot on the beginnings of American motorcycle history and they have quite simply a staggering amount of motorcycles from the very beginnings of motorcycles.

When we were going in I was having a tough time on which camera to take in. I had the D5 and also the D850. While I knew both would be great I knew the lighting in the museum was poor, from a photography standpoint not knocking the museum, so I ultimately decided on the D5. The below photos are from the D5 at various places in the museum. All of these are straight out of the camera JPG's. None are masterpieces but I will say I was blown away after getting home and seeing these pictures. The D5 nailed the exposure and these pictures do not represent the actual lighting that was there. It was quite dark when many of these photos were taken,

My Father, I and my Son all love motorcycles and my son has taken up a special interest in the history of Motorcycles. If you are ever in the area you owe it to yourself to visit this museum, even if you are not that interested in motorcycles as there is so much you can learn about the history as well as viewing many things that people did with motorcycle engines in early history. It is simply a must see. The gentleman who founded this museum recently passed away but his wife and his son are carrying on and they also have a really great educational YouTube channel as well. Just search "Wheels Through Time" on YouTube.

Not only do they educate you on the bikes themselves and their history, they actually crank them up and run them as well as ride them. This is an excellent channel.

With all the other "Stuff" that's out there this channel is awesome.

Now on to a few photos. None are super special in any way other than to try and convey the awesome museum as well as how awesome the D5 can be at higher ISO's. These are all taken with the D5 and the 50 1.4G.

A 1916 Traub. This was hand built and is literally a one of a kind motorcycle found in a wall during a remodel of a building in Chicago in 1967. Everything other than the seat, carb and magneto appear to be hand-built. None of the other parts are from any other manufacturer. ISO 14,400

1928 Indian Factory Hillclimber. 50 HP back then would have been extremely high HP for the day. Beautiful bike. ISO 10,000

Not a super high ISO shot but an XR750 Hill Climber. This thing is pretty radical. Look at the size of that rear sprocket!!!!! ISO 4000

Something a little more modern, ISO 16000

A beautiful vintage Indian ISO14,400

A gorgeous Indian Police motorcycle ISO 12,800

Again if you are ever in the area you really should check out this one of a kind motorcycle museum.

Thanks for viewing.

-- hide signature --

My saying on pictures;
"If you don't take them you won't have them"

Wafflebird's gear list:Wafflebird's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow