Is it worth to upgrade my D7100

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vogs New Member • Posts: 3
Is it worth to upgrade my D7100

Hello,

After a few yeas break I want to dive deeper into this hobby again. I bought the Nikon D7100 pretty soon after it was released. I have the following lenses:

Nikkor AF-S 18-105mm 3.5-5.6G (never use it, was the kit lens)
Nikkor Micro AF-S 105mm 2.8G
Nikkor AF-S 50mm 1.4G
Nikkor AF-S 10-24mm 3.5-4.5G
Nikkor AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8G ED VR II
Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 Art

Mainly I use my camera for landscape, architecture, macro and wildlife photography. I use it also when I'm traveling. Rarely I use it to photograph people, meaning portrait and such stuff.

My first thing is: Lately I encountered issues with the sharpness especially with the 50mm and the Sigma 18-35mm at fully opened aperture (hence, f1.4 and f1.8). I figured, that the 50mm might not be as sharp as expected at f1.4. When I use a smaller aperture, hence, f2.2 it's sharp. I can deal with that (even though I'm asking myself: why do I need f1.4 if the picture isn't sharp at f1.4?). For the Sigma I would expect (also due to the outcome of other discussions I read) full sharpness already at f1.8. Is anyone familiar with this this problem of the Sigma?

My second thing is: I was able to test a Nikon Z6 ii lately with the "standard" 24-70 f4 and the 50 f1.8. At this test, we mainly did portrait photography. I also grabbed my D7100 with the Sigma and took some shots.
I was surprised how easy it was to get the focus at the eye with the "face auto focus mode" (or something like that) of the Z6 ii. When I analyzed the pictures at home I was pretty disappointed how bad I did with my D7100. I did mainly full body shots and I positioned the focus field manually on the face of the person an used AF-C. Only a few pictures were not blurred. Because of the distance, the face covered nearly the whole focus area but this shouldn't be a problem for a DSLR in my opinion.
Furthermore, it looks to me, that there was a noticeable difference in the picture quality too. And I'm not talking about bad light situations, it was outside and partly clouded sky.

My question is now, would it be worth upgrading my D7100? I'd consider either the Z6 ii or the D500. Of course I also cannot rule out, that I had some bad settings at my D7100 for portraits or if there is a problem with the Sigma 18-35 (I will make some tests and try to reach out to a Sigma retailer to update or calibrate the lens).
Nevertheless, I'd expect from the DSLR that it is at least as good as with focusing as the DLSM.

Nikon D500 Nikon D7100 Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow