Lightweight Star Trackers - accuracies compared

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
indigoshrine Forum Member • Posts: 93
Lightweight Star Trackers - accuracies compared

I have been getting fairly good images with my lightweight MSM star tracker and a 18mm lens throughout last year. Now that I am switching to longer focal lengths for panos (50 and 85mm) I do seem to get more inconsistent results. Apparently some other people report similar issues.

Hence, I am considering to upgrade the tracker. Since it should still be compact, I am only looking at lightweight trackers on the market right now, like the sightron nanotracker, Kenko Sky Memo S/T, Star Adventurer Mini, Vixen Polarie U …

There are a few reviews and user experiences out there for each, but what I am missing is a comparison of their tracking accuracies. Or, some kind of objective spec value that can be used for comparison. For example, the Benro Polaris claims a tracking accuracy of '9 arc seconds', but I have not found corresponding information on any of the other trackers.

I am having my eyes on the Polarie U as the other small trackers do not seem to be better than the MSM - bar maybe the Star Adventurer Mini. But it is very expensive and I am wondering if the additional $$ go into improved accuracy at all, or if it is going into different ('secondary') features - which I might not even be needing. Or in other words, how much more accuracy can be expected upgrading from MSM to Polarie U?

indigoshrine's gear list:indigoshrine's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow