Starting Over

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Erez77 New Member • Posts: 7
Starting Over

Hi All,

I have a 40D with EFS17-55 and EFS55-250 which I bought back in 2007 when I got my first paycheck. Over the years I neglected my hobby and thinking of getting back to it. I will mostly shoot the kids in action, landscape and wildlife and want to upgrade my setup.

I am torn on how to proceed.

Do I go 5DMk4 or the R5.

I think I have pretty much decided on getting the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM regardless of which body I choose, as I definitely can't afford the R5 and the RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM.

Might keep the EFS17-55 until I can upgrade to an EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L 2 (Or the RF version, if I went for the R5 and I have the money).

Pros for the 5D - I've always wanted one, it's the last one, it's cheaper.
Cons for the 5D - It's the last one... I'll be upgrading to a 5 years old technology.

Pro for the R5 - Future proof, Ability to crop (High res), Autofocus 
Cons for the R5 - Price.

Do I "settle" on the amazing 5Dmk4 (Can get second hand for a bargain) and invest in glass (WIll be able to get the EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L 2 straight away) or invest in the R5 body?
Maybe a better move is to wait? We are not fully out of COVID here in Oz, so the usage of it will be limited (I'm in no hurry) so maybe the prices of the R5 will relax in 2022? Is there a new release coming? From what I researched over the last few days (I was so not in the camera world I only now learned of the mirrorless revolution) there will be no more DSLR - not even a 6DMk3.
What do you think?
Cheers,
Erez

Erez77's gear list:Erez77's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow