Can't Replace System Battery - What to do?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SantaFeBill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,135
Can't Replace System Battery - What to do?

The system battery is failing on my Dell T3500.

When I tried to replace it, I couldn't.

To replace the battery on a T3500, you have to press down on a tab that controls the ring (of plastic, I assume) that holds the battery in place, to release the battery so it can be removed.

No matter how hard I press down on the tab, nothing happens - it won't open, so the battery can't be removed and replaced. (Used both my thumb and the suggested small screwdriver.)

I'm concerned about what happens when the battery fails entirely. There's no agreement in the posts here or in the Dell Community as to whether the T3500 will boot with a dead battery - some say it will, some say it won't. ( I may have to wait and find out. )

Also, one person said that a dead battery might leak acid, harming the mobo. And then I'd most likely have a dead computer.

So my question: Is there any magical way to free up the holder so I can replace the battery? (If it were a stuck lock, I'd spray it with WD40. But on a computer mobo - no, not the best idea. )

I'm open to incantations, voodoo, and hiring a warlock.

P.S. I'm moving to a new system, but need to keep the T3500 working until its done so I can move things using PCMover.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow