Is your computer powerful enough for AI intensive software

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimH123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,014
Is your computer powerful enough for AI intensive software

I see many complaining about how slow their AI software such as Topaz Sharpen AI and others. I find the software to be reasonably fast, although I would certainly like it to be even faster.

Discovered https://www.userbenchmark.com as a way to measure the speed of a PC. I have two PCs. The one I use with image processing is an Asus Gaming Computer, which is 7 years old, and the other is a more recent non-gaming PC. Both are 8 core.

Here is the first, which is 7 years old and is now discontinued.

When I run the benchmark, it comes in as Gaming 42% and Desktop 85%. For graphics, which uses the GPU as does the AI software, it is a 47.5 percentile (compared to an RTX 20605 graphics card which is currently 100 percentile).

For my 2nd PC, which is not a gaming PC, an Asus K31CD-K, the numbers are not nearly as good even though it is newer. Gaming is at 9% and Desktop at 77%. And for graphics, it is rated at just 5.96 percentile. The conclusion was that it was suitable for general computing tasks. This PC would not be a good candidate to run AI software.

It would be interesting to have others report their benchmark scores and to see how they compare. I do not know if this benchmark works on Apple computers.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow