Sony A7Rii vs A6500

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dr_Love
Dr_Love Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Sony A7Rii vs A6500

I have both of these cameras already so this is not about buying advice. This is about selecting the best tool for the job based on my current gear. I am still new to birding. I recently purchased a Sigma 100-400 and I already have a Sony 70-200/f4.

Each body has advantages and I'm constantly arguing with my choices. The Rii offers 19mpix or so in aps-c mode so the pixel density is close but a small edge to the A6500. Rii has the advantage of cropping in post to make for easier framing while shooting. The Rii also has no AA filter so there is potential for sharper images. On the other hand the A6500 can do 11fps vs the Rii at 5fps. I can remember when 5fps was lightning fas with film slr's. Now with the top dogs hitting 20 or even 30 fps, 5fps seems lacking. The A6500 has a buffer that is nearly impossible to fill. almost 200 shots or so. I've never hit the limit. The A6500 also has much better AF tracking. Neither has the latest Real time af.

So I have one body that is fps/af advantage and more likely to get a keeper at a precise moment. The other body offers easier framing/composition and image quality. This is especially important if I can get close enough to fill the frame more than aps-c size and negate crop factor.

I should also mention that my subjects of choice/available locally are Osprey, Bald Eagles, Common Tern. BIF. I want the full Osprey hunting sequence. I'm shooting from my kayak in order to get closer.

I can't seem to come to a decision yet as I don't have enough birding experience to go on.

Which way would you lean if you were in my shoes?

Anyone else have a similar problem?

And no, I don't think I can justify selling both and getting an A7Riv. lol

Dr_Love's gear list:Dr_Love's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +8 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow