Lens suggestion for Sculptor with D5600+18-55kit+50+70-300

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pedrosa4 New Member • Posts: 3
Lens suggestion for Sculptor with D5600+18-55kit+50+70-300

Hi,

I’m a clay portrait sculptor and bought a D5600 that came with the 18-55mm kit lens. I also bought the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G. This is so I can take semi-decent photos of my subjects to take back to the studio to work from and it’s proved excellent. I’m really happy with the 50mm. Enough for my needs, especially with the tripod I have.

I then thought I’d like to use the camera for general photography when I’m on holidays or on journeys with friends etc., so not for professional use. I thought I’m going to need something longer than a 55mm in case of interesting things in the distance. After reading a lot of reviews for a semi-decent telephoto at my budget of around £550, I settled on the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E VR.

So, I have the 18-55mm giving me 27-82mm and the 70-300 giving me 105-450mm. Obviously missing that 82-105mm for portraits (although I am aware that anything between 75-120 will be fine so at least I have a little of each side).

However, I’m thinking that maybe I could get something a bit better than the kit lens and go for something that would give me a true 18-105mm range, or in full frame terms, a 12-70mm, so that I have everything from 18-450mm.

I know that 12-70mm doesn’t exist of course and I realise in hindsight that the 70-300 was maybe the wrong choice, so given that I have the 70-300, should I get something better than the 18-55mm and if so what would you suggest that covers this 12-70mm range within a £400-£500 budget? Or will what I have serve me well even though I’m missing the 82-105mm range?

I’ve been looking at some 24-70mm glass but they are well out of my budget, and hence need some advice.

As I say, I’m not intending to be a professional photographer, just to have something to take some really good quality photos when I’m holidaying and/or out with friends that covers wide angle to distance.

Also, because the D5600 doesn’t have stabilisation, I would prefer a lens that has some sort of Stabilisation if possible.

Many thanks in advance

Nikon D5 Nikon D5600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow