Samyang 18mm (variable?) ND filter for video

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
demonboy
demonboy Regular Member • Posts: 295
Samyang 18mm (variable?) ND filter for video

Does anyone use this lens or any other 18mm for video with an ND filter?

I use an SLR Magic variable ND filter on my 12-40 (24-80 equivalent) Olympus on my GH5 and I'm pretty happy with it for video. It has hard stops so I don't get the dreaded X pattern and colour shift is minimal. Vignetting is only noticeable wide open sometimes.

In addition to this I'm now using the Samyang 18mm on a Sony full frame, mainly for travel vlogging and I'm looking for an ND filter and have a couple of questions.

The first is if I should bother with a variable filter. It's so useful for video but I'm worried that a fixed 18mm, being so wide, might introduce heavy vignetting. I have no experience shooting this wide with a variable. I understand all the compromises of a variable but I can deal with it for the sake of convenience and would prefer one over a fixed. Budget $150-ish. Oh, and since the filter will stay on the lens permanently, I need to be able to attach a lens cap (that's the beauty of the SLR Magic, it comes with its own cap).

Secondly, because I don't switch filters (run and gun/vlogging video), if I buy a fixed ND filter, how many stops is a good compromise for video in bright, tropical sunlight? I'd be sticking to 1/60 shutter speed and would like to shoot between f/4 and f/8, giving a bit of flexibility either side. Let's say, on average, I'm aiming to shoot at f/5.6, ISO400, 1/60 in bright sunlight. That gives me enough wiggle room in either direction with a single ND filter permanently attached - but what strength is a good compromise?

If anyone uses this for video with an ND filter I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow