R5 screen fading out and won't turn off without battery removal :-(

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
talkin73 Regular Member • Posts: 100
R5 screen fading out and won't turn off without battery removal :-(

Went out this AM with my new R5 + grip (about 2 weeks past return period) and after turning on the back LCD screen got a block of vertical lines in it then slowly faded to darkness. The EVF seemed to still be working but then promptly stopped as well. The top LCD remained on the whole time and had a full battery indicator. If I turned it off it would sometimes turn off but after doing this process several times it occasionally would NOT turn off and the only way to power down was removing the battery tray from the grip. I tried putting a single battery in the camera without grip but no change. The battery indicator on top LCD continued to indicate full charge throughout. The back LCD was never responsive to touch input so I could not review settings or anything else.

I don't recall running the batteries (which are stock Canon LP-E6NH) down or even near down on my last shoot which was just last weekend. The camera has been in my bag since that time in a climate controlled space. No exposure to moisture or impact or anything else. I'm hoping that the batteries have run down and I just didn't notice so I'm charging it now. I have generally kept spare batteries on hand with previous camera setups just haven't gotten around to buying a few extras because even after a heavy 4 hours of shooting 3k+ photos, I never go below half charge in a gripped 2-battery setup. But, if that's the issue I will go back to my usual and previous practice, which is generally a good move. The cost of the batteries just lost me a nice morning out shooting. Fortunately the green light is on the grip and lightning charge bolt is on the top LCD so the camera at least seems to know it's being charged. I just can't figure out the top LCD saying full charge the whole time. Doesn't make sense.

My R5 surely does diminish battery life between uses to a degree my previously SONY A9I/II or Canon 5D3 never did, which is disappointing. I know there are lots of settings to adjust to improve battery life when the camera is on, but I'm not aware of much I can do (except remove the batteries... which would hopefully work!!!) to stop any battery loss while the camera is off... and it was OFF when I went to use it this AM. I had not inadvertently left it on. I don't recall if it the R5 has an auto-Off feature, but certainly good to have. I'm also curious about the always on nature of the top LCD. Probably a slow power draw, but certainly a power draw. I don't find myself using it much for the work I'm doing now so might look to see if it can be turned off all the time. I certainly don't need an LCD displaying information for me while my camera is off as there is no utility in that for me at all.

Might redo the firmware as well, even though I have the latest version. I've certainly seen that vanquish the occasional electronic gremlin on other devices, likely because of corrupt or rogue files that are overwritten by the process.

Other than "keep extra batteries" I welcome thoughts from others, particularly if the issues I'm describing seem to clearly signal an underlying problem with the camera rather than just a battery issue.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow