Why is minimum native ISO 200 on many mirrorless cameras?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
OP Charley123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,054
Re: Plausible Answer...

JNR wrote:

Charley123 wrote:

In this this thread, and at other online sources, many possible answers have been put forward.

The explanation I consider most plausible-likely is the following...

Crop sensor cameras are at a disadvantage in low light compared to full frame sensors. To (partially) offset that, smaller sensor cameras' are sometimes designed with ISO 200 (instead of 100) as their lowest native ISO. This gains the camera one stop higher ISO capability at the high end of its native ISO range, and allows it to have acceptable image quality at 1 stop higher ISO than would otherwise be the case.

The sacrifice being there is no native 100 ISO, but that doesn't affect most of the public.

The people likely to be affected by this (me) are enthusiasts wanting to use fill flash on a sunny day, or wanting shallow DOF on a sunny day, but these people will know enough to figure out a solution, such as using an ND filter.

No. Really that is the complete answer, but some explanation might help.

Light is light, and its measurement at any given point has nothing to do with sensor size. To the extent that small sensors require greater magnification and consequently the spreading out of light captured to accomplish comparative viewing sizes - that is a fact, but ISO has nothing to do with that.

Your post confuses me. It sounds to me like you said no, yes, no. I don't understand your meaning.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow