Low-Weight Upgrade to Phone for Landscapes

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CalHawkeye Junior Member • Posts: 39
Low-Weight Upgrade to Phone for Landscapes

On my backpacking trips (where weight and volume of what I carry is a very big consideration), I typically just take my Motorola G7 phone (released in 2019) as my camera. I definitely have not learned how to make the most of my phone's camera, and am starting to do that now. But I have been considering a light and compact camera to help me get images closer to what I would get if I lugged by Nikon D750 with a landscape lens.  I do hike to some amazing places, and I love landscape photography, so the temptation is there to try to better capture the beautiful scenes that I encounter.

I see there are some light (~9 oz.) and very light (~4 oz.) options, but from my research, it's not clear that there will be that much difference in terms of landscape image quality vs. my phone.

Something like a Sony Alpha A6000 or Panasonic LX100 II looks more promising, but will also weigh north of a pound, which is a huge amount of weight to dedicate to a non-essential item when you are lugging it for say 50 miles through the mountains.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts that you'd have on what, if any, value you think I'd get in terms of better landscape images by adding a camera of the sort described above (or some other small and light camera) vs. starting to use the manual settings of my phone camera and shooting in RAW.

My own thoughts were that there might be improvements in (1) better/more manual controls, (2) superior dynamic range, resolution, etc., (3) better low-light performance, (4) wider focal lengths (looks like 24 mm on full-frame is what I'd get from the above cameras), (5) closer focus, and (6) maybe a viewfinder.

For clarity, the sole focus here is on landscape photography.

Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow