Lumix GH5 (Standard or Mk. II) vs Lumix S5 - Niche Use as a Musician

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GoldenBrahms New Member • Posts: 1
Lumix GH5 (Standard or Mk. II) vs Lumix S5 - Niche Use as a Musician

Hi all, I'm currently on the fence between the Lumix GH5 (either standard or Mk. II) and the S5. Audio is not an issue as I already have an excellent kit for audio recording and am comfortable enough with the editing process to combine/edit Audio and Video. Hard cap budget of $2300 for body/lens. Also open to cheaper alternatives that will provide similar utility/quality for my uses. Currently using a Leica V-Lux Typ 114 that gets the job done with some stopping and starting - but I don't particularly like the camera's lack of interchangeable lenses or the image quality.

Primary usage will be for recording both shorter performances of piano (less than 30 min) and full length recitals (50+ min). The lack of a recording limit is important to me. The GH5 has unlimited recording in all shooting modes, whereas the S5 features that only for certain modes. I'd prefer to shoot in 4k, but I'm not sold on *needing* 60p.

Typical venues include smaller recital halls (200 seats), churches, and other small-ish settings where the distance from camera to performer will be no more than 25m. Having enough zoom/focal length to capture a decent frame at that distance is important. This frame at 14:48 is a great example of what I'd like for video recording (full piano and pianist, side profile).

https://youtu.be/NtLgbyGUu0E?t=888

I'll also be using it to capture higher quality stills at student performances and events where video is already taken care of. Stills and video will be posted to my website, social media, etc. Secondary use for the camera will be recording lectures and infrequent use as a webcam for streaming concerts/lectures via Zoom.

1. Is it worth it to go full frame with the S5, and sacrifice unlimited recording at 4k 10-bit/4k60p? I do want to record in 4k.
  2. If so will the 20-60mm kit lens of the S5 provide enough zoom to capture the frame from the starting point in the video link at distances of 15-25m? I'm assuming the 12-60mm lens on the GH5II would provide enough zoom given the crop factor of the smaller sensor, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. Am I over-reaching with these products? Are there cheaper alternatives that will offer comparable quality while still meeting my needs?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

I've read too much and don't have hands-on access to either of these products to be able to decide more practically

Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow