Would you buy a Dell refurb? (with 1 year on-site service)?

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KJC Regular Member • Posts: 188
Would you buy a Dell refurb? (with 1 year on-site service)?

My wife and I are in the market for a new 15" laptop: just something fairly basic, mostly for web browsing and, occasionally, a few basic apps (word processing, Audacity, etc). I will not use the machine for photo editing. We would like to keep this in the 600-1000$ price range.

We are currently looking at the various offerings from Asus, Lenovo, etc. I have been avoiding Dell because of our experience with the Dell refurb we bought a year ago--but perhaps I should reconsider???

We bought a Dell refurb Precision 3630 last year (Xeon quad core, 32 GB RAM, 256 SSD/1TB HD, 450W power supply). It came with Pro support, meaning on-site repair after remote diagnosis. I paid another 60$ to extend this to three years. Long story short: it has intermittent screen freeze issues and an issue with not waking up from sleep (which I should just disable I suppose). It also has positively ABYSSMAL connectivity with a few different wireless USB keyboards and mice I have tried. (I CANNOT deal with wired mice and keyboards with my current setup).

I have been on the phone many times with Dell Pro support--some of these people are great and some of them seem to know absolutely nothing. We updated the BIOS "I am sure that will fix the problem." wrong. WE updated all the graphics card drivers "That HAS to be the cause" wrong. Now, they want to come out and install a new C drive. We have been avoiding an in-home visit for a variety of reasons (COVID, etc,) and the problem persists, albeit at a fairly low frequency (once or twice a month on the screen freeze, daily on the mouse and keyboard issue). I am also very doubtful that a C drive replacement will fix the problem, but it is GUARANTEED to cost me endless hours re-downloading, re-installing, and re-configuring all the numerous programs I use.

Anyway, the question is: Is my experience an outlier/bad luck, or am I likely to experience more of the same if I buy from Dell refurb again???

It seems to me that a refurb machine likely had some sort of problem, was returned by the original owner, and supposedly fixed and put up for sale again. Maybe their techs are not very good at this in some cases? Maybe the purchaser of such a refurb is asking for trouble that the previous owner got tired of??

Thanks for any thoughts!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KJC
MOD Austinian
KJC
KJC
KJC
KJC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow