Sony A7c for wildlife

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jndutta Forum Member • Posts: 77
Sony A7c for wildlife

I am switching from Nikon to Sony.

I used a Nikon D850, D7500 & D3400 with Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 and Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII & 70-300mm Af p DX

But both my lenses got damaged in transit and since i bought them used i don't want to spend a lot of money on them and were more than 5yrs old.

I sold my Nikon gear.

I am ready to sacrifice the megapixels if needed specially with software like Topaz Gigapixel and 8fps burst is fine for me.

I want to buy Sony because of real time tracking and animal eye AF. I shoot mainly Tigers, Lions, Cheetahs, Leopards, other mammals and occasional static birds.

The A9 series is out of my budget. The A7iii & A7riii doesn't have the real time tracking but have the joystick. The A7c have the real time tracking but not the joystick but can move focus points with the direction pad.

The A7r iv is almost beyond my budget but can manage it if i have to. It will require more storage cost and a strong PC for processing.

I liked the joystick on D850 but didn't miss it much on the D7500.

I am not sure about the A7c viewfinder and can't try and buy now due to certain ongoing restrictions.

I had no problem with the Nikon D3400 or D7500 viewfinder. I wear glasses and have high power.

I don't mind single sd slot as i am not a professional.

I shoot with ISO ranging from 100-6400, sometimes require 12800.

I can handhold the Nikon 200-500mm till 1/13s.

I hate viewfinder lag though and i am fine with dslr type view with blackouts at Continuous Hi instead of using Hi+

I will pair the camera with Sony 200-600mm.

I will buy 1 camera and 1 lens mainly and maybe a 50mm or 85mm prime for other uses.

I only shoot wildlife in their natural habitat nothing else.

Thank You

Here a few low res photos currently on my phone for examples which type of wildlife i shoot.

Nikon D3400 Nikon D7500 Nikon D850 Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow