Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP greenmanphoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,150
Re: Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports EXHIBITS

AlwynS wrote:

Some real oldies here!

A real trip down memory lane with atrocious quality but still...

Start of a local Formula 1 race at Killarney racetrack near Cape Town. I believe this was in 1972 given the Lotus 72 in pole position. Taken with a Miranda Sensomat 35mm SLR with a 400mm Tokina lens

Shot of the Lotus 72 during the race

I was a bit late on the shot: one of the F1 drivers pushing a bit too hard. Could have been a McLaren M7 or a Lotus 49.

Around the same time: my brother used to participate in the saloon car races at that time. We went to the track for mid-week testing and practice for the upcoming race. At the same time there was a Chevron B19 practicing. Safety considerations were a bit different in the seventies, especially given that this was an unofficial casual practice day, so I was out on the pit lane in front of his pit, RIGHT next to the track:

The setting: not sure of the car in this shot. A bit of sleuthing suggests that it was almost certainly a Lola T290.

Alwyn,

You really HAVE been shooting for a while! I was shooting in the mid- to late-70s, but with a Kodak instant camera! Wasn't until I was 15 or so when I got my first "real" camera, a Pentax K1000 35mm SLR. A no-frills, all-manual camera with a match-stick metering system! It was simple, but effective, and I learned a LOT on that camera! I DID a lot with it, as well, from anything that caught my eye to graduation photos to even a wedding, IIRC!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D300, D700, D500, and D850; 16-80mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm, 24-120mm; Sigma 10-20 f3.5, 150mm f2.8 Macro, 17-50mm f2.8; Tamron 70-300mm, 70-200mm f2.8 VC; 24-70mm f2.8 VC G2; Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer tripod; RRS BH-55 ball head; Monostat RS-16 Pro monopod; Various odds and ends.
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow