Whitney Museum: "Progressives, stop taking street photos."

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
The Lamentable Lens Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Whitney Museum: "Progressives, stop taking street photos."

fad wrote:

Listen, I adore and support street photography, and I engage in it myself. But one cannot deny that among the various photography genres, it raises some of the more difficult ethical questions around exploitation, consent, and intent, especially where issues of race and/or class are involved. To ask those questions and invite a discussion of them -- and especially to do so through photography itself -- is a worthy endeavor that does not deserve such a hostile and dismissive reaction.

Forget questions. If you think street photography is wrong, you shouldn't do it. Why would you do what you think is wrong? Do you wish to have it both ways?

I think this last bit was added after I had started my reply just above.

In any event, you are again reading something that is not there. I did not say that "street photography is wrong." Those are your words, not mine, and I do not agree with them. I simply noted that street photography is a genre that presents thorny ethical questions worthy of thoughtful discussion. That's hardly a controversial statement; indeed, it's a common topic of discussion.

I do have some boundaries in my own work, so, to answer your question, no, I don't "do what I think is wrong." I don't gratuitously photograph the homeless, for example. But that still leaves acres of space within which to work, and I enjoy shooting in that space.

As for the suggestion to "forget questions," well, I suppose it is easier to forget some questions than to answer them.  But I enjoy working on the answers...

The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Leica Q Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7R III +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow