Whitney Museum: "Progressives, stop taking street photos."

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
The Lamentable Lens Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: Whitney Museum: "Progressives, stop taking street photos."

SK_photography wrote:

I agree with you about the ethical questions raised by some street photography, and I would love to visit the exhibition if NY was accessible to me.

It did seem to me that the statement quoted in the OP reflected a rather narrow view, and there are many street & documentary photographers to whom that criticism does not apply.
S.

Thanks, SK, and I don't disagree.  But I think that's true of plenty of valid criticisms of a field or industry (that is, the industry can be rightly criticized, even though there are plenty of people in the industry to whom the criticism does not apply).

In any event, I wasn't really endorsing Bey's criticism itself as much as I was challenging the unfairly reductive summary of it.  And, perhaps more to the point, I felt the need to defend the photography itself, which I think deserves much better than to be dismissively described as "not very interesting street portraits of black people."

In any event, your response is a perfectly good example of respectful dialogue on the topic, so thanks for that!

The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Leica Q Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7R III +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow