On assignment. Political reportage with the ZED 6 & 7

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
commiebiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,642
On assignment. Political reportage with the ZED 6 & 7

A polite ask to keep any discussion centered on photography and not politics

A couple of days ago I was asked to accompany one of our bright young reporters to a voter registration event featuring Beto O'Rourke.  "Beto" is a well known ex United States congressman from El Paso TX who has run (and lost) a race for the US Senate and had a brief fling at presidential politics as well.

The promise was a little one on one time for our reporter, as well as a very little time for me to take a picture.  We were scheduled to get that time before he addressed a crowd of a few hundred, but as things ran late we got rescheduled for after the pep talk, (and after the TV interview).  Regardless, we got our shot before he went back to shake hands with a line of supporters.

We also got more than we bargained for, when a small group of Trump supporters drove around beeping horns and yelling, before setting up nearby to continue the protest.

I had everything from the 20mm to the 70-200(F) in the car, but settled on using the 35 on one body and the 85 on the other.  I counted on being close enough to make that work and didn't want to drag around extra gear in the hot muggy Texas afternoon.  Another photographer was fully stocked with 2 D4s, what looked to be a 400 f4, and another camera with an attached flash.  Every time he tried to reposition among the crowd I was glad I decided to work light.  Here are some of the results.  Comments welcome

15 seconds with him with no one else in the frame.  Clicked 4 times and used this one, and then he was off

Beto, confronted by a Trump supporter.  Cropped by about 20% just to get closer to the action.  70-200 might have been handy, but this worked

Trump supporters drive by.  What you can't see is the noise

Trump supporters settle in on the grassy knoll (A Dallas joke in bad taste)

Beto

Woman in the crowd gets her question answered

Beto.  Cropped quite a bit as I really wanted the TX themed chair to dominate the background.  Almost got there.  This is the one time I really missed the 70 -200

Our writer one on one with Beto.  This one didn't go the publication...just gussied up a little for her scrapbook

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7S Sony a7R II +19 more
Nikon D4S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow