Surprised at just how different the G9 update is

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,744
Surprised at just how different the G9 update is

Took the G9 for a test this evening.

I had it set on Animal detect and AFC. See a BIF and the problem under the old system was that when you point at the bird the chances are that you aren't in focus and you can't see the bird and you rely on pressing the shutter to focus. Wow that is so different now. Point the viewfinder at the bird and immediately the bird is in focus/yellow box in your viewfinder. Providing the bird is in the frame the box will find it. Press the shutter and it changes to a green box and you have your bird. As the bird moves the box moves with it. This is even functioning at a distance beyond which I can get an OK picture.

Two people in wetsuits coming out of the water 200 yards away. Same as with the bird, by the time you have the subjects in your viewfinder, they are already in the yellow box. Press the shutter and take the shot. As they move a bit closer, not only does the box follow them but a smaller box appears around one of the subjects head increasing the focus accuracy.

Congrats Panasonic, this truly is an impressive upgrade.

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow