8-25 PRO-Aha....

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,594
8-25 PRO-Aha....

In another thread I initially dismissed the idea of the lens being collapsible. That was partly because I didn't pick up on the visual cues other did, but also because I felt a collapsible lens would be in keeping with the build standards PRO stands for. I'm used to collapsible lenses being ones that literally are pushed back in on themselves. Every lens like that I've seen or tried left me concerned about how sturdy it actually is,

The twist to extent feature of the 8-25 lends itself to making the stored lens a little shorter, while maintaining durable construction and weather sealing. Yay. After seeing that, I recall some past lenses that offer similar method of reducing size. (I can't remember the brand, but many years ago I saw a macro lens that rotated to a closed position for storage. It was a "macro only" design, meaning it would only focus from I think around 1:4 to 2:1, and so was very long when in use, hence the collapsed storage position.)

Jordan's comments on the DPReview video are just what I expected. While some still photographers may question the real value of the focal length (especially being f4) Jordan expresses the view many video people will have, that his is the ideal focal length for the majority of work they do (without the bulk of the 10-25 f1.7 Panny, which quickly became a favorite among m4/3 video shooters who could afford it.) I think there will be as many Panasonic  owners who do a lot of video buying this lens as Olympus owners.
I think the lens represents a justifiable, and much needed inclusion of more video oriented gear for Olympus/OMDS. I'm wondering if the hinted at high end new OMDS produced body will offer video specs comparable to the high end Panasonic cameras.

The 8-25 is now on my lens upgrade path. I may actually find it replacing my 12-40 for some concert work. It would definitely be my preferred walk around lens.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Yxa
Yxa
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow