Whitney Museum: "Progressives, stop taking street photos."

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
The Lamentable Lens Contributing Member • Posts: 700
Re: Whitney Museum: "Progressives, stop taking street photos."

You're entitled to your own opinion of Bey's body of work, of course, but I'd be surprised if people who actually spent time looking at his projects at the Whitney would come away thinking of them as "not very interesting street portraits of black people." No, that strikes me as a rather derisive, shallow, and unthinking summary of his work.

Personally, I find The Birmingham Project extremely moving, and there are some great photos in the other series, too. Heck, if A Boy in Front of the Loew's 125th Street Movie Theater, from the Harlem, U.S.A. series, doesn't make you smile, then you may be a lost cause!

I think it is similarly reductive and intellectually shallow to distill the museum's messages down to "progressives, stop taking street photos." I don't get that at all from what the museum posted, and I've read them both twice now.

Listen, I adore and support street photography, and I engage in it myself. But one cannot deny that among the various photography genres, it raises some of the more difficult ethical questions around exploitation, consent, and intent, especially where issues of race and/or class are involved. To ask those questions and invite a discussion of them -- and especially to do so through photography itself -- is a worthy endeavor that does not deserve such a hostile and dismissive reaction.

The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Leica Q Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7R III +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow