RIP 105mm 1:2.8 D AF Micro Nikkor AF

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rich42 Senior Member • Posts: 2,063

My favorite Nikon lens has reached its useful end of life.

You have served me so well.

I have owned a Nikkor 105mm lens of some type, since forever. This was my last purchase, maybe 2006, and has been a joy to use. It's the sharpest, best Nikkor I own. I've used it for everything. So much more than "just" a macro lens.

It's a superb portrait lens.

At 1:1 magnification, I have scanned thousands of film positives and negatives - it's performance much better than the optical system in several drum scanners I have owned.

It's always on my D800E or D850. It's the way I see the world, photographically.

I was getting it ready for testing on my GFX 100S today. A brief EVF glimpse showed some minor vignetting but I wanted to do some testing.

I happened to be looking into the rear of the lens and gasped as I saw the fungus!

Don't know why I didn't notice it before. It must have been growing rapidly. Strange, because the climate here in Northern San Diego County is not very humid.

It is UGLY!

So long, old friend. You've earned your keep.

Rich

Nikon D800E Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow