Banding: what’s the deal with that?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Dan DeLion Contributing Member • Posts: 976
Re: Its the Equipment's Fault?

JimKasson wrote:

Dan DeLion wrote:

I disagree. If you manage to torture banding out of a Z7, it shows you don’t know how to handle your equipment. A longer sun shade (try compendium) would be advised for the situation you describe. Remember it is not the equipment’s fault if you haven’t learned to use it.

What you are saying is that you don't need all the DR that modern cameras have.

Jim, I'll take all the DR I can get.  How much do I need? Minimum about 12 stops.

I don't think everybody feels that way. Otherwise, why do we still measure and talk a lot about DR when a new camera is introduced.

Most of the camera "tests" I see are jokes.  IMO they only measure quantifiable parameters, like DR.  They don't test subjective and qualitative things because they can't put numbers to those.  Yet, those elements of camera performance largely determine ones satisfaction with the output.

What counts is: - Do you like the output?  Not the DR, FPS, 200% resolution, CA, distortion...  They contribute but don't determine the bokeh, lightness, rendering, color, subject, punch, meaningfulness, composition...  The very things that make "good" pictures.

Stay safe - Dan

-- hide signature --

It is a poor workman who blames his tools.

Dan DeLion's gear list:Dan DeLion's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow