Need help assessing the damage to my Canon AE1 Program

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yahtzee577 New Member • Posts: 11
Need help assessing the damage to my Canon AE1 Program

Hey Forum, I was cleaning the film gate of my new Canon AE1 P and I noticed that this little groove that holds the shutter had separated a bit.

Would this slight separation in the film gate cause any issues down the line? Additionally, what would be the safest way to clean this area in the future? There where a couple of loose hairs in there which where showing up in my pictures (as evidenced below). Is it safe to touch the area with your finger to remove larger debris? or are you better off using tweezers/air to remove stuff like that.

Additionally, what should be avoided when cleaning the insides of the camera? I've only lightly touched the bottom/sides of the of the mirror box, and very lightly dusted the top of the mirror box (I had seen bits of hair stuck to the dark fuzzy side of the mirror, when it was flipped up) I'm sure during my cleaning adventure, I touched that area as well to get rid of the larger hairs.

I'm new to 35mm and wanna get the most out of my new (old) cameras, and hopefully haven't damaged anything too crucial

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow