Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G vs Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,510
Re: Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G vs Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8

I have the Sony 70-300 which I bought used for the simple purpose of having a light lens that length not expecting much out of it.  I find that at least my copy is very good and when used outside it is truly underrated by many.  I used Tamron lenses quite a bit in the "A" mount days and have no issues with them, but if what you are after is in the center of the lens the 70-300 is not that bad at all.

Lenses are funny at times.   I have several GM lenses and many times when reviewing images from a day of shooting I see one or two that really stand out and more times than not I look at the metadata and that darned 24-105 G shows up.

You are asking a question that truthfully; you are the only one that can answer.   No one suffers at times from GAS more than I, but don't discount what has given you pleasing results in the past.

Oh.....I have a number of bird feeders just outside my kitchen window and while I have a 200-600 to use, I keep the 70-300 on either my A7riv or A1 at all times in the event an unusual bird pops up and with that 300 reach plus APS C mode and placing the bird in the center I get good results.   Here is a recent example taken through a double paned window in deep shade.

Red Headed Woodpecker

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow