New to L mount... need assistance with wide angle plz

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Jeepit Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: New to L mount... need assistance with wide angle plz

Strangefinder wrote:

I thought so.

I don’t have experience with them, but the 16-35 is ~63% the weight at 500g, and has a manual focus clutch with focus throw control between 90 and 360 degrees. It is also "Certified by LEICA" so it’s definitely of a high standard. The Hybrid Shooter youtube channel has covered it a few times.

The rule of thumb seems to be that the Lumix S Pro would have smoother, faster AF and that the Sigma ART higher IQ. Though, not necessarily.

Rashid, above, has the 14-24mm DN, I think.

The 14-24mmF2.8 is probably better value, and some people pair it with the small Leica CL so it would handle fine on the S1R despite the extra 300g.

The 14mm and 20mm you mentioned are ported SLR lenses which may have better optical correction (mostly distortion) than DN lenses, and AF less suited to contrast-detect.

That is great info I did not know about.
So are you saying (reading between the lines) that the Sigma 14-24mm f2.8 AF would work better on my S1R than the Sigma 14 & 20?

Sigma stated that mirrourless wide-angle lenses can benefit the most from size reduction, so wide-angle DN primes may be even lighter with better performance when they eventually release. If you’re in no hurry then you may wish to wait for primes (unless the weight doesn’t bother you). No rumours or indications, yet.

FYI the Sigma high-res "fp L" camera has a "crop zoom" feature which would allow you to set the 14mmF1.8 at a 16mm or 18mm crop.

Thanks

Jeepit's gear list:Jeepit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-330 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow