Olympus 8-25mm F4.0 PRO: Official Page

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,339
Re: Olympus 8-25mm F4.0 PRO: Official Page

I look at it like this:  Oly and Pana both have a 7-14.  Neither takes filters on the front.  The Oly is faster but bigger and heavier.

Now (or soon) they each have an ultra-wide zoom that starts at 8mm and takes filters.  They are pretty close in size (Oly: 77x88.5mm, Pana: 73.4x88mm).  They both give a more useful long end than a 7-14, but the Oly's 25mm beats the Pana's 18mm.  The price for that is the Oly being slower at the wide end, and being heavier (411g compared to 315g).

I bought the Pana 7-14 when it was the only one, later sold it and got the 8-18.  I'm happy with that lens.  But others may value features of the others more, so there is a pretty good selection of UWA zooms with subtle differences to choose from.  Sounds good to me.

I don't know how realistic a compact (similar to 12-45 f/4) version of this lens would have been.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NFE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow