Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Dan DeLion Contributing Member • Posts: 976
Nikon Knows - Complainers Don't!

RazorSharpWO wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

The fact that a Z-mount lens is better than its F-mount equivalent does not mean that the Z-mount specs made the difference.

Perhaps it does as Nikon's own specs for a Z-mount lens means an improvement like we see. Nikon does have a tendency to improve with each new redesign after all

I used the word "specs": advisedly.

Let me spell it out: The fact that a Z-mount lens is better than its F-mount equivalent does not necessarily mean that the mechanical Z-mount specifications (throat diameter, FFD, etc) made the difference.

I added the word which would have made your sentence true.

In essence, Nikon themselves have directly said their mount makes a difference. Since they been leading all other manufacturers, far more often than not, since creating their Z-Mount, I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

That certain other lenses sometimes eclipse Nikkor lenses (rarely, these days) is the proverbial, "The exceptions do not disprove the rule."

It's true that the superiority of Z-glass to F-glass doesn't necessarily mean it's only the mount that makes the difference (e.g., Arneo coatings also appear to make a huge difference, as does their superior build quality, etc.).

However, to ignore the inherent advantages Nikon engineers (who actually build class-lenses, they don't just write about them) directly say they have is folly, IMO.

That’s precisely the point! Nikon and Canon say that the flange diameter makes a difference (not the whole difference.) But, the doomsters (now quiet about Nikon going bust), the naysayers, the ill-conceived testers, and the complainers say that’s not enough proof that the changes to the mount amount to a hill of beans. So who are you going to believe, the ones who are always negative, or Nikon engineers who know what they’re talking about?

Stay safe - Dan

-- hide signature --

It is a poor workman who blames his tools.

Dan DeLion's gear list:Dan DeLion's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow