GM 14 initial test, rear filter usage and sample images

Started 7 months ago | User reviews thread
Malling Contributing Member • Posts: 733
Re: GM 14 initial test, rear filter usage and sample images

There seem to be a limit currently to how well one can make these ultra wide, these will obviously never be IQ as stellar as a 35 & 50. 35 & 50 range has for a longe time been the sharpest lenses with least amount of distortion, going in any direction from this and you loose performance, so it’s really no surprise that the 14mm isn’t as stellar as these as neither are the 24 or 135mm for that matter.

I kinda expect that when Sony do update their 24-70 I expect there won’t be huge of a gain in the 20-24 range either, as again there just is a limit for how well you can make these.

The 1.8/14 is still a good lens and if you don’t have an ultra wide it can still be worth it. If you have I can understand that you will view it as a one trick Astrophotography pony. But it’s just as one trick pony as any other lens that is nearly as sharp at 14mm.

Personally I never seen much reason for the 16 & 20 mm (too close to 14, 18 and 24 to really be worthwhile to own (within 10 degrees difference). I can see that when shooting If I’m not at 14 then I’m at 18 or 24mm. But the long end tend to go a little soft on most zooms, so rarely that useful. So for me the 12-24 has always been a 14 and 18 lens.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow