GM 14 initial test, rear filter usage and sample images

Started 7 months ago | User reviews thread
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,166
G 12..24 is that good @ 14 mm

aSevenArr wrote:

joger wrote:

Maybe I ave got an extremely good copy - which I doubt.

The 16-35 GM is stellar in my experience.. it only falls down just a little at the 35mm end.

But if you stop down just slightly all of the very slight mushiness at 35 instantly clears up and the results are once more very sharp.

I saw a review back at the time ... I went for the GM WA zoom for the longer reach 35mm end and also the fact that the 12-24 can't accept any filters.

Incidentally ... is it possible that you simply got a bad copy of the 14 ? Just a thought.

The G 12..24 is that good - it was already a close to perfect lens years ago and it looks like it is the perfect ultra wide angle lens provided you don't need front filters.

IMHO it is the best option when you want to photography landscape and architecture at a comparable low weight and small size - I hardly find any usage for f/2.8 let alone f/1.8

As said before - it's a one trick pony for astrophotography.

Fortubnately we have many choices in the Sony eco system.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow