EOS M6 Mark II HDMI output to PC monitor (via PC)

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Larry Cunningham
OP Larry Cunningham Senior Member • Posts: 1,096
Re: EOS M6 Mark II HDMI output to PC monitor (via PC)

nnowak wrote:

Two thoughts...

I am pretty sure your M6 II supports the Canon EOS Utility software which will allow tethered shooting with a basic USB cable. Alternatively, if you don't want to use the EOS Utility software, I would recommend connecting a spare HDMI cable to your display and bypassing the PC. Adding the USB dongle might introduce some lag to the video feed that would make manual focusing cumbersome.

Here is a link to the EOS Utility for the M6 II

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-m6-mark-ii?subtab=downloads-software

Thanks! I'll admit to a rather strong, and longstanding, bias against software developed by any hardware manufacturer. It tends to be, well, clunky and buggy and annoying. I had downloaded Canon EOS Utility years ago (and have since upgraded to the latest and greatest), but once again felt it wasn't worth fiddling with.

After reading your suggestion, I fired it up and attached my M6 Mk II using a USB cable (I also got it to work using a wireless connection, but figured the hardwired connection would be more reliable). It works pretty much as advertised, so I'll try using what came with the Canon package before investing any more time or money.

The one detail that disappointed me was that, with the camera set to manual focus, the live view on my monitor doesn't include the Focus Peaking I see through the EVF. The combination of big screen and focus peaking would have made focusing on macro subjects much easier.

Larry

Larry Cunningham's gear list:Larry Cunningham's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow