Are bigger pixels less noisy?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,343
Re: Quantum efficiency and signal to noise ratio

bodeswell wrote:

photonut2008 wrote:

Nick Zochios wrote:

Yeap! Please use the old 80 bucks lens (28-105) that i used for my own shot and then come back to tell us what you found.;-)

I have no interest in what you think of your outdated camera and cheap lens. The image quality won't come close to what I want, at any ISO or of any photographically interesting subject/scene. Your test shot merely illustrates the ugly artifacts you consider acceptable and even weirdly pleasing in the pursuit of a noise-free photo of a piece of trash.

Wow! Perhaps this thread will be locked soon.

Seems more likely to reach 150 posts, and practically all of them unnecessary. "Nick Zochias" replies are non-sequitur "contributions."

Too bad, because the original question never got a clear answer.

I beg to differ. I think the question was mostly answered with the very first reply.

The original question was whether "bigger pixels" were "less noisy". Apparently the answer is "it depends".

See the first answer to the OP. I think the caveats to that are summed up nicely here (read the entire text of this post).

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow