Fuji X-T4 - XF 35mm 1.4 vs Sony A7iii - SEL 55mm 1.8 Zeiss vs Nikon Z6 II - Nikkor Z 50 mm 1.8 S

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Matthias Harder New Member • Posts: 17
Re: Fuji X-T4 - XF 35mm 1.4 vs Sony A7iii - SEL 55mm 1.8 Zeiss vs Nikon Z6 II - Nikkor Z 50 mm 1.8 S

Mark Sloe wrote:

the apparent superior sharpness of sony (and probably nikon) is most likely a result of in-camera processing rather than actual resolving power of lens+camera combo. i believe this can be tweaked on fujifilm cameras - check in the fujifilm x forum.

I went pixel peeping and compared the X-T4 and the Z6II in the comparison tool. I downloaded the jpgs and raws and put them side by side on a decent enough screen.

The jpg of the X-T4 was noticeably softer, when zooming to 100% it almost looks like the focus is ever so slightly off in comparison to the Nikon jpg.

When putting the two raw files against each other the difference was much more subtle, almost not noticeable anymore. The Nikon still had a slight edge but that was really negligible. So the bulk of the difference might actually come down to default in camera sharpening and then possibly some to the lens. I haven't checked how they shoot this comparison. Do they adapt the same lens to each camera or do they just shoot the sharpest lens available for the system?

In any case, it's much less of a difference and I also know that those small differences have much less of an impact on perceived and objective image quality (in case there is such a thing as objective image quality).

And it's the sharpness of the images in this sample gallery of the new Nikon macro lenses that I haven't yet seen in images shot with the Fuji.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/4689943654/nikon-z-mc-105mm-f2-8-vr-s-sample-images/5355957404

And having seen the comparison between the two sample raw files I'm also a bit more convinced now, that it's generally possible get very sharp results, with all of the cameras mentioned above, with the right lens of course.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow