Photograph...graphic art....informatic..reflexions..

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 6,258
Re: Photograph...graphic art....informatic..reflexions..

Josemi wrote:

Well, I come from a heritage of photographers, already with my father I learned to develop in the laboratory, perhaps I was before a technician than a photographer, in fact I am a graphic arts technician and a photographer. I have known from glass negatives to photoshop and the retouching of each one of them (carbon, blade, pencil, ..) In the past it was even an offense that you removed a freckle from a woman in a portrait, only temporary grains were touched , the aftermath of an accident or illness, things like that and I assure you that they were not even 15% of the photos that were made.

What you did in your particular lab is not relevant to what was done en masse. As soon as photography got to the point of recording "flaws", techniques were used to hide them.

Later in party scenes, landscapes, etc. they began to use types of colored films to highlight things more or make them different but always trying to maintain a naturalness, that always ...

No B&W photo is natural. And much work that was done to B&W photos, especially landscapes, was unnatural.

And my complaint if it can be called that, is that of 15 or 20% has increased to 80% apparently in the touch-ups. Formerly regardless of the books that are read, a photographer would go to a place, frame, apply values ​​and in one shot he would take out what he wanted to show, currently tell me how many photos you process in raw without altering any parameter, but none ... just like that you have taken it .. well that's it, we delegate so much in the development that we forget to try to be better with the cameras, to try that single shot, master .. that feeling of satisfaction. But as I was telling you, it's my case, maybe not yours. I have been an official military war photographer and I assure you that you did not go with the laboratory or computer in tow, nor did you delegate any faults you may have in the development ... later I was also an official photographer of government presidents, heads of states, monarchs , and a long etc ... and as you took the photos you handed them in on a pen, they reviewed them and told you which ones they wanted and which ones they didn't and they made you erase them in front of them and record them without any modification ... so you better know drive the camera to the limit and be sharp. I'm sorry about the grammar but as I mentioned in a post, while working I had a mishap and I broke the tendons of both arms and I did not gesture well, I also had a stroke and there are things that I do not develop as before and / or I do not remember well how to do them , but what I do remember is what photography is and what it means to me. I am not against reverse progress, but I see that the spirit of pure and hard photography has been lost ... as I tell you, it is like a hunter who always wounds, never kills the first time but it does not matter because then he can finish .. in what if I agree with you is in the improvement with the software for when the limits of the cameras are reached to be able to save the photos ..

A lot of this seems to be a rant against processing. It amazes me that a person who worked in a lab so poorly represents that part of the photographic process.

With certain documentary type photography, keeping the processing as neutral as possible makes sense. Otherwise, it is as Ansel Adams said: 'The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance.'

Have you ever gone to a Shakespeare play? He left very few performance notes, the various takes on his work is part of the enjoyment. I don't like every interpretation, but that doesn't mean other people shouldn't or that they are wrong.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow