Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S $999.95 USD

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
just Tony
just Tony Veteran Member • Posts: 3,413
Re: Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S $999.95 USD

Fazal Majid wrote:

1llusive wrote:

Fazal Majid wrote:

If Nikon had made a S line 50mm, I would have gone for that instead of the 105. If Sigma comes up with a Z mount version of their 70mm f/2.8 macro, the Nikon 50mm simply isn't competitive and even the 105 is in for a tough fight.

Can you explain why you like 50 better than 105 for macro?

I don't shoot flowers or insects, mostly small items like watches, coins, electronics or the like that don't get spooked by close-by lenses (like an insect would, which is why 105mm macros are so popular), and the shorter working distance of a 50mm for tabletop macro photography is an advantage. Here's a photo of my old setup (, now it's a Z7 with Sigma 105/2.8 on FTZ):

Fuji X-T2 with XF 80mm Macro, on Manfrotto Magic Arm upgraded with Hejnar Photo Arca-Swiss clamp

If 80 mm on APS-C (shown in your picture) doesn't have a working distance that is too long right now, then 105mm on full frame shouldn't be either.

Of course you already possess the latter combination so that would be easy to try today unless that is too much of a load on that Magic Arm.

Do you sometimes shoot with a 35mm macro on the Fuji? For a given framing on some object it would have a similar working distance to the 50mm that you indicate a strong interest in for the Z7.

-- hide signature --

Wag more; bark less.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow