Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S $999.95 USD

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
AlanWatson Regular Member • Posts: 417
Re: Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S $999.95 USD

AngelFish wrote:

BISCUT wrote:

Is the additional cost in Switzerland due to a form of taxes? Or did Nikon decide the Swiss should pay 40% more than everyone else? If not, "What a ripoff" is a rather disingenuous statement. If it is the case, I'd agree. Which one is it?

Swiss tax is pretty low at 8%. The Swiss price is in line actually with the UK price, but tax in the UK is 20% .... so there is not a logical explanation (that I can figure out anyway).

International price comparisons are always obscure at some level. I don't know whether Nikon have ever made any statement on this, but other companies usually answer that the costs of doing business in different countries varies (regulations, cost of living, taxation, what exchange rate modelling they used when they set the prices, etc), and as you never get to see their calculations you can never know how much is that and how much is a case of what price they think will make most profit in a given country.

I've just compared a couple of other Nikon products (Z6II and Z 14-30) and it seems to be the same story: Nikon's list price in Switzerland, after allowing for the exchange rate and different tax rates, is about 10% higher than the UK list price.

Curiously if I do the same exercise for Canon it seems that their products, correcting for tax and exchange rates, are 10% more expensive in the UK than Switzerland...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow