Clean Gitzo tripod

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Banas
Mark Banas Contributing Member • Posts: 611
Re: Clean Gitzo tripod

SuzukiGS750EZ wrote:

Hey guys. I have a GT3531, new to me. My first question is, besides gitzo grease, would krytox or silglyde be a better choice? I'm not paying $32 for grease tubes. Secondly, can I throw the threaded locking portion with the rubber grip and all into my ultrasonic cleaner with original simple green? Do I wipe the legs down with water, simple green or rubbing alcohol? Any other tips?

Is it particularly gritty, nasty, smelly? A GT3541 is an older model Mountaineer (pre-2016, I think), and unless you really need to, don't go overboard with the cleaning. You can wipe the legs down with pretty much anything you'd put on your skin as long as you rinse it with water and let it dry before reassembly. If the threaded locks have grit or salt in them, they should be rinsed in water, have the threads brushed out with an old toothbrush and a good lithium grease reapplied sparingly.

BTW, I have no idea what an ultrasonic cleaner would do to the rubber jacket... but you can get replacements from gitzospares.com if you destroy them!

Mark Banas's gear list:Mark Banas's gear list
Pentax K-3 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow