Are bigger pixels less noisy?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
JahnG
OP JahnG Veteran Member • Posts: 3,341
Topic changed to noise reduction

alanr0 wrote:

Nick Zochios wrote:

Thanks for your response.
i didn't mean to bother the thread with something that is not related to it.
It was just a post to you in order for me to actually have your opinion over the way that a modern noise reduction software can handle the noise at high iso.
I shouldn't have responded to the questions but anyway...

Thanks again for the detailed info.

Mildly off-topic replies are not a problem here. They quite often lead to interesting discussions.

You say you asked for an opinion. As far as I can tell, you simply posted an image, and said (more or less) "this is what I did, and I like the results".

You did not ask a specific question. You did not ask how it compared with the output of more recent cameras. What kind of feedback were you expecting?

Regarding the noise reduction, you gave no basis for comparison. How does it compare with the un-processed result? How does it compare with the noise reduction provided by the likes of Lightroom, Neat Image or RawTherapee?

Do you know what your noise reduction workflow does? How does it differ from traditional low pass filtering algorithms? Does it involve non-linear truncation of outliers (as in median filtering). Is there some more sophisticated/opaque machine learning derived process involved?

FWIW, If you add the D750 to Bill's input-referred read noise plots, it slots neatly between the older D700/D3 sensor, and the more recent Sony sensors, which you claim to have no interest in.

PS. I may not have been paying attention, but I do not recall the last time anyone on this forum described a camera as a "Low light beast".

Alan, interesting issues concerning noise reduction.

My original pixel-size and noise questions have been thoroughly and very well answered, so yes, why not slightly look at noise reduction, which probably is quite interesting for many.

I shoot jpg and very seldom use NR in my old PaintShop Pro 9 program, which mainly seems to just blur the picture when using NR. Only when there has been some easily defined ("lassoed") noisy area on a picture I have "blurred" that area. I do own a "newer" PaintShop Pro program, the X5 version, which I have seldom used as the old version "9" works perfectly well in Win10 pro and is slightly simpler and faster to use. Both programs basically seems to do the same thing.

I just checked (in the net) that my newer X5 version has an additional NR setting, "digital noise" where different colored areas might be "noise reduced". Must look at it, but I doubt it is very advanced?

However, it seems that some more advanced noise reduction plugins would be possible to utilize not only in Photoshop but also in PaintShop Pro X5. (I'm Shooting jpg)

I found a program in Amazon.de (which I use, being in EU) named AKVIS Noise Buster, but it is probably not anything advanced at all? Any other suggestions?

What are BTW "non linear" noise reduction systems, some plugins?

Jahn

PS Nick, what was the NR program you use, and is it a plugin, usable in Photoshop (and possibly in PSP X5) shooting jpeg?

JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow